Friday, August 1, 2008

Recipe: Matcha Yogurt Panna Cotta

I'm having a tea party for two with a close friend and am remembering the tea jellies I had when I visited Japan several years ago. I tried recreating one to serve at my little tea party and came up with this take on yogurt panna cotta, which is not so much jelly-like as custard-y. (I think it will go over better; I think I'm somewhat unusual in enjoying the creamy jellies you get in Asia.) I'm still experimenting with a milky black tea jelly. I'll keep you posted.

Because it's vegetarian, I use agar (which growing up was known to me as "china grass") instead of gelatin. Agar (also called "agar agar") is a flavorless seaweed that gels and melts at slightly higher temperatures than gelatin. Just like gelatin, you have to soak it, dissolve it in a hot liquid (up to boiling), and then cool. Acid and the enzymes in tropical fruits like papaya and pineapple break agar down, so use more agar if you're making a citrus or other acidic jelly, and cook tropical fruits and juices before mixing them with agar. You can substitute one teaspoon of agar powder for a teaspoon of powdered gelatin, or 1 1/2 tablespoons of agar flakes.

Matcha Yogurt Panna Cotta for 4

2 Tbsp. water
2 tablespoons agar flakes (or 1 1/4 teaspoons powdered agar)
1/2 cup whipping cream
2-4 tbsp. sweet matcha* (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 cup plain yogurt (use a mild yogurt, without too much of a tang)

Pour water into small bowl and sprinkle the agar flakes into it. Let soak 10 minutes.

Bring cream and sweet matcha to simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sweet matcha dissolves. Add agar mixture and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat. Whisk in yogurt.

Divide mixture among ramekins. Cover and chill overnight.

Optional (if you don't want to serve in the ramekins): Slip a knife around the edges of each panna cotta to loosen. Set each ramekin in a shallow bowl of hot water for 10 seconds. Immediately invert onto a plate.

*You could also just use unsweetened matcha and add your choice of sweetener to taste.
P.S. I have to make a plug for the cute custard spoons I picked up in Japan from Muji. Everywhere I went, these were given to me to use when I was served yogurt or custard, and the family we stayed with also used these, so finally I had to get them, too. Looks like they now have something similar at Sur La Table.

No comments:

Post a Comment