Saturday, February 13, 2010

After Gallbladder Removal, Eat a High-Fiber, Low-Fat Diet


Recently, my good friend had her gallbladder removed. Half a million Americans have a cholecystectomy every year.

The gallbladder stores bile, which the liver produces and which is necessary to help digest fats. When you don't have a gallbladder, bile goes directly into your small intestines. The liver is on
its own after gallbladder removal.

Following a high-fiber, low-fat diet post-cholecystectomy helps food move through your digestive system and cuts down on intestinal discomfort. Lemon juice and vinegar also help the digestive system to break down fatty acids.

Whole grains like oatmeal and fresh produce (like beans, broccoli, artichokes, apples, and oranges) are high in fiber. Concentrating on "good fats" is important when cutting down overall fat intake, so you can still get the essential fatty acids your body needs. Non-tropical nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.), seeds, fatty cold water fish such as salmon and mackerel, and extra virgin olive oil are all great sources of healthy fats. Being liquid at room temperature (as opposed to saturated fats, which are solid at room temperature), unsaturated fatty acids slide through the digestive system and take fat-soluble toxins with them.

Foods to avoid / cut out after gallbladder removal:
- red meat, pork, poultry (they're high in difficult-to-digest animal protein and animal fat);
- dairy (although a lot of folks without gallbladders find they can tolerate yogurt);
- chocolate and caffeine (can be digestive tract irritants);
- refined carbohydrates (they "gum up" the digestive system);
- fried foods (very high in fat);
- spicy foods (again, can be irritating); and
- soft drinks.

6 comments:

  1. Had my gallbladder removed in May of last year. I am one of the many victims of weight gain post-cholecystectomy. I am a very nutrition conscious person and runner. My diet is high fiber and low fat and I average 12 mi/week running with two days devoted to cross-training. In spite of being very mindful of my health, I've gained 7-10 lbs since surgery. This is a widespread phenomenon that is real and unfortunately not recognized as a legitimate side-effect of life without a gallbladder. I am lucky enough to be a mild case thus far. I feel so much for those that have experienced extreme weight control issues due to this. I am wondering if the addition of lemon juice and vinegar might aid me in controling my weight. I hope your friend is lucky enough to avoid this occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My surgeon told me to go back to normal eating post-cholecystectomy. Prior to surgery I was told by the endocrinologist that I would be given a specific diet post-surgery. When I asked each MD (surgeon, endo and PCP) they each referred to the other. The only advice I was given was the vague "eat low-fat." As I found out, if you eat low-fat without eating low carb and boosting protein you gain weight. Also I was told to avoid soft drinks because of sugar and not because they can be digestive tract irritants. I wish I had found this posting 15 pounds ago!!! I know Doctors often feel that patients ignore their advice but I wish they had still bothered to give it to me.

    Good luck to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had my gallbladder removed through 3-spot lap chole. And so far, I am doing good now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your article! After my gb surgery I was given the same vague "eat low-fat" and "no more fried foods" (as if I walked around with a fried chicken leg in my mouth ;) ) advice. Since then I've had increasingly intense intestinal problems - to the point that I've had my doctor test me for IBS and other similar issues and even came close to asking for a colonoscopy! I was so worried, but I wasn't thinking it could be related to my lack of a gb! Thank you for calming my nerves =D --Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to
    mention that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    In any case I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!


    Feel free to surf to my web-site - Slim XS Supplement ()

    ReplyDelete
  6. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comJuly 4, 2014 at 1:17 PM

    Hi,

    Healthline.com recently launched a free interactive "Human Body Maps" tool. I thought your readers would be interested in our body map of the Gallbladder: http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/gallbladder

    It would be much appreciated if you could include this tool on http://mizmasala.blogspot.com/2010/02/after-gallbladder-removal-eat-high.html and / or share with friends and followers. Please let me know if you have any questions.


    Thank you in advance.
    Warm Regards,

    Maggie Danhakl- Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline Networks, Inc. * Connect to Better Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 www.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete