Sunday, July 19, 2009

Today's Food... Very Good


"Today's food... very good" was what we all said in unison before a meal at Gandhi Camp (where I was a camper and then a counselor for about five summers).  I think I officially stopped being a card-carrying Gandhian when I learned that at the Gandhi ashrams, they don't use onions, ginger, garlic, and green chilies (as another form of sacrifice devotion).

I digress.

Dinner tonight was light, summery, and kicky:


1. South Indian-style Brussels Sprouts (with mustard seeds, curry leaves, fresh roasted peanuts, ginger, lemon juice...)

2. Karela (bitter melon) with tomatoes, ginger, onions, and a touch of yogurt whey

3. Sprouted mung bean salad (with tamarind, lime, cilantro...)

4. Shrimp (glazed with tamarind soy sauce)

5. Lemongrass iced tea 

No comments:

Post a Comment